Balens have for many years been specialising in the Insurance requirements for Health, Well-Being, Fitness and Beauty Professionals, and this includes First Aiders and First Aid Trainers. We have a number of insurance options available, that will cover both your Professional Liability Insurance requirements, plus any equipment that you may take with you as part of your profession as a First Aider and / or First Aid trainer. 

In addition, for those associations or organisations that house Defibrillator equipment at their venue, we have a scheme specifically designed for Defibrillator All Risks cover, with the option to include Public Liability cover in addition if required. 

First Aiders, First Aid Trainers and First Aid Equipment - cover options available

Professional Liability Insurance for First Aider and First Aid Trainers

Balens provides a Professional Liability Insurance Policy that has been designed for individuals or small businesses offering First Aid Services, First Aid Training or Training Services, that provide advice, treatment and or activities to members of the public. This policy has the following areas of cover:


  • £4m / £6m Professional Liability Cover

    this covers your legal liability for any breach of your professional duty due to a negligent act, error or omission committed or alleged to have been committed. The limit of liability selected will apply to any one claim and will cover an unlimited number of claims per policy year.

  • £4m / £6m Public Liability Cover

    this covers your legal liability for accidental injury to any third party and or their property through acts of negligence. The limit of liability selected will apply to any one claim and will cover an unlimited number of claims per policy year.

  • £4m / £6m Products Liability

    This covers your legal liability for accidental injury to any third party and / or their property through the use, sale and / or distribution of defective products. The limit of liability is for all claims during the year (aggregate) and covers an unlimited number of claims up to the limit of liability. This cover includes sale or distribution of products to your own clients connected with the therapies / activities that we insure. A turnover restriction of £30,000 applies for sales to non-clients in any one year. We have a separate Health Products Policy should your additional sales exceed this limit.

  • Retrospective Extension

    The Balens Health Professionals Liability Policy has an extension for all previous work performed, and will cover claims arising during this period provided there was an insurance policy in place at the time that the work was carried out, it does not have to be ours. 

    There is a requirement that any claim made under this area of cover is first notified to you during the period of insurance with us and the previous insurance policy in force at the time of the event will not respond. Full details of any previous policy must be provided in the event of a claim.       

  • Peace of Mind after you cease trading

    The Balens Health Professionals Liability Policy is on a claims occurring basis. A major benefit of this type of wording is that any work performed when the policy was in force will be covered now and at any point in the future, this is subject to the terms and conditions of the policy. There is no need to purchase additional run-off cover which would be required on a claims made wording, and can be quite costly. 

  • Cover for Temporary work abroad (excluding cover for work in the USA & Canada. Policies can be extended by referral)

First Aid Equipment Packages

Balens have devised and arranged a range of insurance package options for First Aiders who require All Risks cover for equipment and Employers Liability Insurance. Cover is designed to run alongside the Balens Professional Liability Insurance, which provides Professional Liability, Public Liability and Products Liability (see above). 

  • All Risks Cover for business contents and stock that you take away from any business premises / carry with you. Cover options up to the value of £20,000. Cover available for anywhere in the UK

    Higher limits available upon request

  • Employers Liability Insurance

    This covers the Employer if they are held legally liable for injury caused to any employees, volunteers or work experience assistants sustained during the course of their work.

    • This cover is typically a legal requirement where staff are employed or you have volunteers working within your business. Self-employed people are not usually covered by this.   
  • Package options for up to 5 employees, 6-10 employees, and 11+ employees.

Defibrillator Insurance

Balens have devised and arranged a bespoke insurance package policy for individuals, organisations and / or Associations that own and / or are legally responsible for defibrillator equipment and are housing this.

All Risks cover provided as standard:
  • All Risks cover
    • Cover for loss, destruction or damage (unless otherwise excluded) to the equipment and / or its housing for equipment inside the boundary or affixed to an external wall of the risk address or temporary removed elsewhere within the territorial limits for emergency medical procedures.

      The sum insured provided is £2,000.

Optional sections of cover available:

  • Public Liability Insurance

    Accidental bodily injury to any person or accidental damage or destruction to a third party property through acts of negligence for which you are legally liable.

  • Limits of Liability available - £1m or £2m
  • Premiums start from £78.67 including tax and fees
  • There are standard exclusions and conditions applicable to all policies – a copy of the full policy wording for each policy is available upon request

Please contact us to get a personalised quote for your practice

Please contact our Affinities Team for Professional Liability Insurance and our Commercial Team for your First Aid Equipment insurance requirements, including Defibrillator Insurance.

Other policies services which may be useful:

  • Contents, Equipment & Employers Liability Insurance – Balens have devised a range of contents package options to cover contents stock and equipment which you own and / or are responsible for. Employers Liability is included as standard, plus you have the option to add additional sections of cover such as Business Interruption, Buildings Insurance, Products Liability and Terrorism.  Please also see our Article – Risk Management for Salon Owners.
  • Charities and Not-for-Profit Organisations - Are you a community Band or similar? Do you have volunteers or Trustees? Balens have a range of options to meet the insurance requirements for this business sector.   
  • Health Products Insurance Package – Balens have devised a package policy for Health, Wellbeing, Fitness and Beauty Professionals that may be involved in the manufacture, sale and / or distribution of related products.
  • Training School Insurance – If you hold a Professional teaching qualification and are a qualified Health, Well- Being, Fitness or Beauty Practitioner who wants to train and certify others, Balens offer a Teaching School Insurance for an unlimited number of students.

    If you are looking to offer training which issues certificates of attendance only, this is automatically included in our Balens Professional Indemnity policy with no limits and for no additional premium. If you are issuing certificates of competence, a Training School extension can be added to your Professional Liability policy for an additional premium (limits apply). Please also see our Article – Do You Treat & Teach or Do You Need A Training School Policy?
  • Personal Accident and/or Sickness policies – This cover may be of particular importance for those that are self-employed and have no alternative income. Balens have devised and arranged a policy designed to pay out either a lump sum or a weekly benefit (if selected) in the event of an accident, bodily injury to you and /or illness depending upon the type of policy chosen. Please also see our Article – Personal Accident and Sickness Cover.
  • Household Insurance – Please contact us to find out more about how we can assist you with protecting your buildings, contents and / or personal possessions. Also see our Article – Home Insurance for more information.